Tried the Slow Mo on iPhone 5S. This one is shot at Mecca Masjid, Hyderabad. If you have not been there yet please do, its a beautiful place. Good time to visit would be early mornings on any day.
I was lucky enough to be one of the few to get an invite for Google Glass. After thinking a lot about it (of course due to its price tag) I ordered it and why not its an investment in the future and the product itself is pretty awesome.
Getting is was a fairly simple process, Google takes a day to ship as soon as you place the order using your Google wallet account, and it ships over-night free to any US address. As i’m in India i had to get it shipped from my US address to India and that was a long one. Google does not ship outside US as the device is currently available only in US.
After a week i finally got my hands on it. It had a pretty simple and beautiful packaging, open it up and there it is the Glass. It’s a beautifully designed product. The next step was to set it up and it is a fairly simple process, i had to pair it up with my android and install apps i would like to use through the Glass app and it was good to go.
It does a great job with its voice recognition, Something of course very important for a device like Glass. Then i started to try out the apps and all of them work fine outside US except for the Play music, you would need a US account for that. However given the battery of the Glass you would be able to play no more than 20-30 songs on a full charge for now, this of course will change in future updates as Google is for sure seeing this as a go to music device. I have tried their earbuds but it did not impress me much. The sound quality isn’t that great and they are not too comfortable. Atleast for me. There should be a wide array of such accessories to choose from in future.
The maps and music recognition apps are a killer, i have used them the most in these 7 days. They work pretty well i have used the music recognition quite a lot of times and it works like charm. The maps is a beauty turn-by-turn navigation right at your service.
Google search app is a lifesaver just say “Ok Glass Google…” and find what ever you are looking for. You can use it to find places, contact details of any store you are looking for, simple calculations, time in a different country, height of some buildings or even recognise a song. You can do everything you could need help with.
One feature you will use all time no matter what type of user you are is the photo capture, you can capture photos with a wink. Literally! I have been capturing more photos with Glass than i did with my phone. Its so easy, although i have not been recording as much videos for obvious reason that i do not take as much videos as pictures. The quality of pictures and videos is decent.
The hangouts feature is good although i use it more to send/reply to chat messages and less for video calls. The video calls work fine though, but it drains the battery pretty fast.
Additionally you can also send/receive text messages and make/receive calls from your contacts. You can add up to 10 contacts for now to Glass.
I hit the gym every morning and on the second day i decided to put the Strava running app to use, but it does not support indoor running. Although the stopwatch and the timer app have been very useful in tracking time for every exercise.
Path and Twitter apps are great for sharing the images you capture using glass. You can also view updates from your friends on path and add comments.
All the cooks is an app my Mom loved the most, making it the easiest way for her to find recipes. P.S: Its a perfect app to impress your girlfriend/wife at the kitchen. ;)
Right now there is little you can do with Glass but Google keeps adding more apps, updates which make it better by the day. The possibilities are endless and i’m pretty excited about its future and also about the glass apps i have been working with few developer friends of mine. I will post more about them as soon as they are done.
As much as i like taking photos i hate carrying my bulky DSLR around everywhere. I like to travel light and carry as less devices as possible but one device which is always there with my is my iPhone, which i cannot avoid carrying everywhere and i always miss on taking good photos because my DSLR is lying at my place and my iPhone's camera is missing those lenses which help me get those beautiful and gorgeous shots.
I have recently invested in getting õlloclip lens for iPhone and i have been using it since a month and i have been very happy with the way the photos have come out. Below are few photos i shot using the lens:
It comes with 3 lenses Macro lens, Fisheye lens & a wide angle lens. I mostly use my Macro and wide angle lens. The image quality too is pretty good thanks to the 8MP camera of iPhone. The advantage of shooting on a smartphone is there are hundreds of apps there which help you in post processing the photos if you are not a pro in using tools like Lightroom. Its small and come in a pouch and is pretty easy to carry as well. The only disadvantage of this lens is it hold your iphone very tightly so when trying to mount or remove the lens on your iPhone it would scrape of your screen-guard. I mount it not from the corner of my phone but from a bit above the center of the phone and drag it up. This has solved the problem though but i would have loved it if the width of the clip was adjustable so that i can use it on my other devices as well. However im pretty much happy with the lens and the way photos come out. If you are someone who hates carrying the bulky DSLR and wouldn't want to miss on shooting images while out then this is for you.
Its been more than an year since i started uploading my work to Posterous and maintained my portfolio there. Its been a good start to my career with lots of learning and new things coming in. I loved every design i worked on and loved it more to share it with you all. Sadly the guys at Posterous spaces are shutting down their shutters permanently from April 30th. I loved Posterous and how they made publishing posts so simple. Nevertheless they moved on and so did i.
So here i announce my new website and im very excited about it. I have set it up on squarespace for an obvious reason and its been awesome so far. It offers me a very simple interface to deal with and importing from Posterous is just a breeze. I took no more than an hr to set up my website up and running here. It is as simple as it can get, the interface or uploading a post to sharing it with friends. Unlike posterous it a paid service but as they say good things comes at a price.
I got this Yves Béhar designed activity monitor last week and this is way better than its previous version. I have always liked this more than the Nike fuelband for this being so simple (Personally this might be the only reason i like it over fuelband) as it hangs to my wrist and keeps tracks of my daily activity. Its so far so good. I really like the way it tracks my sleep, i now know that i barely get any deep sleep and that is why i always feel sleepy even after a 6hr sleep. I would have liked it more had it synced wirelessely, The metal cap did not scratch against my laptop while typing or designing, The band automatically change modes rather that i manually changing it using the single button it has for example i need to change it manually to sleep mode while sleeping to help it track my sleep patterns and if the rubber covering is finished properly at the joint.
2012 has been good and bad it had its own ups and downs like every other year, neverthless i enjoyed 2012 a lot i made some good progress in terms of learning, Design & Meeting new people. I was not able to learn as much as i wanted to though, as they say ' Too many intrests and too little time'. The good thing is the world did not end in 2012, so 2013 i have few goals from my prev year for you, please be awesome.
- Continue learning. More and even more. - This shall be on my golas list every year.
- Start training for my private flying license - Oh yes i have alrady started this my first class begins this coming weekend. Woot! :D
- Prioritize - Very important, although i make sure i do this but i end up missing it some times. That moment when your design is taking shape and you are fully engrossed in it and ignore the rest of the world.
- Read more & more & more books. - More more and more.
- Meet more people. - Meeting new people is always good. There is always a lot to share and learn. This is something which will be here on my list every year.
- Travel a lot more. - I missed doing this last year, i must this year. As you might have guessed i love travelling.
- Concentrate more on lettering and illustration. - Another one from last years goals. Im still no where good with lettering and calligraphy, with illustration i was able to do some progress though.
- Need to blog more often - I have realised i spend a lot of my time either designing or readins books. I need to start blogging foten too.
- Publish my book - Yes im putting together a book. As you might have guessed its related to design. Nothing fancy though to put it in simple words it will have insights from some of the best designers from around the world. Im putting this across with the help of few designer friends.
- Maintain a work/life balance. - Need need need to do this. I just cant seem to do this though.
- Take better care of my health. - Thanks to my disorderly eating and sleep timings.
- Write more. Blog more. - I need to, as they say sharing is as important as learning.
- Spend more time with family. - Because every time i meet my sisters or relatives they say i have no time for them.
- Get back to swimming. - I started swimming when i was 9 and i stopped last year as i was busy working on point 1. I need to get back to this.
- Go on a family vacation. - Much needed!
P.S: To all those awesome people who made 2012 so awesome and happy, Thank you!. It wouldnt have been the same without you and ofcouse me.
We all are aware that windows mobile has a feature that allows to turn off background syncing of apps once the battery level reaches 20%, microsoft is now trying to take it to the next level. Their new patent revals that the phone now will track the users usage patterns, how often a user charges his phone and how often certain tasks are performed.
So accordingly the phone will turn off/on sync opertations depending on if or not the phone will be able to sustain till the next charge for this the phone will track the users details of when the user will charge his phone daily and how far is the user from home/office (location tracking). and if the phone will have better signal soon.
This simply means that your phone will be smart enough to analyse if your phone will sustain till your next charge and accordingly it will help you make the best use of it with whatever battery levels you have until your next charge. So that your phone dosent conk off when you need it the most.
Smart aint it? I guess this is why they are termed as 'smart'phones.
You can find the patent here.
You will notice quite a few to-do's related to food because we Hyderabadis love food. Well atleast the biryani and the kebabs. :D
1. Enjoy the Biryani, The kebabs. Place to be: Paradise restaurant.
2. You like monuments? Visit Charminar, The golconda fort, Qutub shahi tombs, Chowmahala palace. We have more too.
3. Like shopping the traditional Hyderabadi stuff? Visit Madina near charminar, Laad baazar, Genral Bazar.
4. Take an auto rickshaw ride make sure to pick a nice jing bang looking auto rickshaw. You would be unlucky if you find an auto rtickshaw driver who drives slow and follow traffic rules (These are very rare types though). Personally you will enjoy the auto ride only if the auto driver is the oppopite types. Belive me you will enjoy!
5. Eat butter dosas at Govind bandi, Charminar
6. Missing the beach in your city? We have an alternative err yes kind of visit Neclace road.
7. Have dinner at the Taj Falaknuma. You can get the taste of the nawabi royality there.
8. Visit Salar jung musem for some Deccani paintings, Vijaynagara paintings and some Nizam jewellery.
9. Try haleem at Pista house.
10. Cheap books? Koti is the place you need to be.
11. Tea lover? You must have irani chai with some osmania biscuits.
12. Now that you have tried all the native hyderabadi food. If you are looking for some nice and plush joints to eat and hangout. Coco's, N-Grill, Rayalaseema ruchulu (for some telugu food, beware its spicy :D ),
13. Temples? We have the famous Chilukur balaji temple , The Birla temple to name a couple of them.
14. Walk by the Neclace road during the sunset.
15. Want to meet white collared people? Hitech city is the place.
16. Coffee? Try Beyond coffee at Jubilee hills. I personally like their 'Mary Cassat mix'
17. Dont miss the ice cream at Mashoor ice cream.
18. Handicrafts? Lepakshi in Abids and Shilparamam in Madhapur.
19. Try learning the Hyderabadi Hindi. Watching movies such as Hyderabadi Nawabs or The angrez would be a better option to learn or experience it. ;)
20. Go boating we have quite a few lakes in and around.
21. Finally we also have quite a few Pubs, Discos like every other metro, but when you are in Hyderabad try experiencing what only we have.
The people here are awesome just beware of few cranky people. If you have finished all of these and still have time? Call me i love talking about Hyderabad and can help you with more places to visit, there are a lot more.